A year ago I was asked to become CSCP certified by my employer and I was also asked to get certified at the lowest possible cost. To determine the lowest cost I had to first determine what would be required to pass (there is a lot of resources that are not needed out there) and where can I get the lowest price for those minimum resources. Total cost for the CSCP exam came out to $1,807 and can be done for less than $1,000 if you have a good base of knowledge before taking the test.
1. Sign up for APICS membership – The most expensive Professional enrollment costs $200. The exam costs $725 for non members and $525 for members. If you plan on taking the test you are already even. With the free $40 APICS dictionary you also receive for being a member you are already ahead on your initial $200 APICS membership costs. You will definitely save more than you spend by getting your APICS membership before you take the CSCP exam.
2. CSCP Exam Content Manual – This manual is essential to pass each exam because it tells you want you will be tested on. There is so much that you COULD study, this tells you exactly what to study. I would not attempt taking the CSCP test without this essential booklet. $25 APICS members.
3. APICS Dictionary – Knowing the terminology is very important and can help answer many CSCP questions by just memorizing the terminology. Also, study this document because your terminology at your work may be different than APICS terminology. I personally ran into needing to re-learn certain terms that were different at my work compared to what the APICS dictionary stated. Free for members.
4. Introduction to Materials Management –This book is an excellent text book that can teach the basics needed for the CSCP. This book had simple explanations to help how the entire supply chain works. Don’t forget to use the chapter summary questions area- this is a good way to test the content you know before moving on to the next test. This book by Arnold is available APICS site for $96; however, I found a slightly used book on Amazon for $22.
5. Professional Test Pro’s CSCP Exam Practice Questions runs $90. The software has over 550 questions that simulate the CSCP exam. These questions really helped me learn the content AND the format of questions I would see in the test. Simulated tests and technical explanations helped me accelerate my learning of the required topics.
6. CSCP Learning System This was excellent tool to prepare for the test. This followed the exam content manual and was easy to learn from. Because this learning system is expensive, I would study the other materials to pass instead of purchasing this learning system. For most of us, this learning system is needed, for the few that can deal without it, I would. $ 895 for members.
Following my process above can save you at least $443 over buying the minimum resources on your own. It will save you thousands over buying expensive resources you do not need. Other resources like a teacher led class could cost you over $1000 each! This is very expensive training in these tough times. I would only get some of the more expensive in-person classes and software if you know you are starting behind compared to others and need additional training. If you follow the formula above you should be able to pass the CSCP exam at the lowest possible cost to you or your employer
CSCP Savings Table My Cost
• APICS Membership -$200
• CSCP Exam Registration Fee – $575
• Introduction to Materials Management – $22
• APICS Dictionary – Free
• CSCP Exam Content Manual – $25
• CSCP Professional Test Pro Exam Simulation – $90
• CSCP Learning System – $895
• TOTAL Cost- $1,807
• Total Savings for minimum resources – $443